Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Awful Offals



You knew it was coming.

It had to be done.


(que the ominous chords)

The Offal Practical
If you've ever wondered where the phrase 'waste not want not' comes from now you know. Offals: tripe, sweatbreads, kidneys, liver, oh I could go on, but I've decided to spare you.

No matter how you disguise it and dress it up (and believe me we did) it's hard to get over the foreign taste, texture, and smell.



But as it's important to expand your mind, it's equally important to expand your taste buds...as hard as that is to swallow.

Today we breaded and pan fried liver placing it alongside deep sautéed and seasoned potatoes and drenching the liver in a heap of caramelized onions.



Proof that I did experience this acquired taste.

Darcy Jones

1 comment:

  1. Hello Darcy!
    I have been enjoying your blog, living vicariously through you and understanding the small victories that not many understand, the buerre blanc that doesnt break and the fish that melts on the tongue. Congrats on passing the first round, HOORAY!!!!
    This blog really makes me laugh bc it is how I felt when I was asked to make veal kidneys in a mustard sauce. I called every french chef i knew and even cold called the chef at Bleu Provence in Naples. Casey would only try it with a chaser of Jack Daniels, kind of wish I had done the same. You nailed it with the taste texture and smell ....and thats before you cook it!
    anyway, just wanted to say congratulations and cant wait to see what comes next. Our best to you both. Reagan

    ReplyDelete