Monday, January 25, 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons…



make lemon curd, a lemon meringue tart, and lemon crepes of course!

There is nothing that lifts your spirits in the lull of winter quite like the lick of a lemon. With the lack of light these days, stepping into a kitchen loaded with beaming bright yellow citron is a welcome wake up call for us all.

And in my case, I am on lemon-overload. Full speed ahead into week 4, and already my brain feels like a recipe-rollercoaster. I think in an incoherent mix of French and English, and honestly feel like I speak in tongues half the time. The slogan ‘just do it’ seems to sound in my head on more than one occasion per day, but learning to turn to taste, rather than talk, has been a truly invaluable lesson in so many respects.

So if the proof is the pudding, or in the curd in this case, than I think I am progressing quite nicely:



The Tart au Citron, or Tart au Magnificent, was a serious undertaking. The pate-brisee (shortbread pastry shell) made a reappearance in this recipe only to be topped, quite literally, by a call for fresh lemon curd, Italian Meringue, and candied lemon zest. With a quick flick of the wrist and the Saint Honoree piping-tip we were shown how to pipe the ever-so-chic herringbone pattern with our meringue. I little brown highlighting and blond streaking to coat, and I could hardly believe my eyes: a total tart makeover!



I must say- it was quite the fashionable Friday for us chefys. And so the weekend was gone in an instant, and with a flash: Monday morning practical. It was a scrumptious start as we began the first phase of puff pastry and comfortably conquered the classic crepe.


Un...Deux et trois

Crepes with Lemon Segment Syrup…simply lip licking, light, and, to quote my performance review: ‘just lovely.’





Darcy Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment