Wednesday, January 13, 2010

APPLE OF MY EYEsore

Today marked our first foray in the pastry kitchen. During our inaugural lesson, I bore witness to the single most impressive fruit salad ever made. This delicious delicate dessert sings with the flavors of fresh vanilla and citrus and sounds of warm anise, cinnamon, and clove. It’s simply seductive syrup is used to infuse and preserve the fruits maximizing freshness and flavor, and let’s just say ‘fogettaboutit’- this is a natural sugar high.

Sadly, all highs must be followed by lows: after a 3 hour-long demonstration on the art of decorative fruit cuts (colloquially entitled ‘Fruits on Crack’) I was inspired to create a citrus sanctuary in my own kitchen. And from a substantial covey of Granny Smith apples here what I bagged:



I would say my V-cut creature looks more like Bird of FrIgHt than Bird in Flight.



In case you are wondering, it is supposed to be a swan...an apple a day, this way, won’t keep the doctor away.

Feeling rather demoralized at my lagging knife skills, I decided to flee the world of fruit and food for a breath of fresh air.
Although I met with no swans on my jog, I managed to enter Hyde Park just as a fresh snow coated the city commons. The flakes were so big and breathtaking that I had to stop and admire: I couldn’t help from imagining a celestial chef with his chinoise, smiling as he sieved the clouds to dust the square bellow in sugar.



This was truly a foodie’s fairytale.


Darcy Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment